Peace, a look and then and now…

1895
On September 29th, following a service held in the church of the Evangelical Association, several Germanic families decided to organize an independent congregation. With a modest 11 charter members, our Evangelische Friedens congregation was born. Then, on November 18th with 34 members, it became official as the church was registered with the Wisconsin District of the Evangelical Synod of North America. During these early years, the congregation assembled in the Evangelical Association Church.
1896
Rev. E.J. Fleer commenced Pastorate
In April it was decided to build a facility and grow the parsonage. The building site, on the corner of Custer and Market Streets was purchased from $300. Two bells were also purchased at a cost of $385 and an organ for $51.50. The new church, now boasted 60 members was dedicated on September 13th.
1898
The Young People’s Society was organized in January. Women from the church also become interested in forming a society which would be of assistance to the congregation. They organized the “Frauen Ferein”, or Woman’s Society, consisting of 18 charter members.
1902
The sanctuary was completely renovated including the installation of electric lights, plumbing, heating and a garage was added.
1903
Rev. Rolt Grunewald commenced Pastorate
1907
Rev. Carl Nagel commenced Pastorate
1908
Rev. C.H. Wittbracht commenced Pastorate
1910
Rev. H. Ember commenced Pastorate
1912
Rev. Hugo Weichelt commenced Pastorate
1916
Rev. John Bizer commenced Pastorate
1920
Rev. Foesch commenced Pastorate

Church membership had increased to 91 families, the Young People’s Society had 25 members and the choir had reached ten members. The “Frauen Ferein” boasted 40 members.Church services, confirmation rites, and all significant activities were conducted in German until the early 1920’s when services were then changed to all English. An exception to this was the last service of the month, conducted entirely in German, but soon also switched to English.

1922
Rev. Wm. H. Leonhardt commenced Pastorate
1926
Basement was excavated and the first furnace was installed.
1929
Rev. G. Hahn commenced Pastorate
1930
Rev. Paul Kasper commenced Pastorate
1934
Rev. K Kielhorn commenced Pastorate
1936
Rev. John G Siegle commenced Pastorate
1942
Rev. E. Dilman Rodel commenced Pastorate
1945
The 50th anniversary was celebrated in September. During this time, the name of the Church was Freidens Evangelical and Reformed Church. This celebration included three well attended services, including former pastors and member who had moved away from Brillion.
1946
Rev. Marvin P Lehman commenced Pastorate
1948
A new Hammond organ was contributed.
1950
Rev. Ralph W. Kluge commenced Pastorate
1957
Rev. Ralph J. Ratzloff (Student) commenced Pastorate
New carpeting and sidewalks were installed.
1959
Rev. Lloyd D. Fried commenced Pastorate
1964
Rev. Karl Koehler commenced Pastorate
1965
Rev. T. F. Heilgeman commenced Pastorate
1967
A completely new front entrance was constructed. The church changed its name we now know as Peace United Church of Christ.
1970
Our 75th anniversary and was celebrated on November 22nd with two services and a special dinner. There was a booklet created and published for the event that contained many interesting pictures of various church organizations and all of its members. During this year, the basement was also completely renovated.
1972
Rev. H. Kehle commenced Pastorate
1973
After 80 years, the beloved church began to deteriorate with age and continued renovation was not economically feasible. Approximately eight acres of land was purchased at the corner of Glenview Avenue and Hillview Drive which would provide for ample parking and would also offer space for future expansion.
1977
During a special meeting on March 20th, members decided to erect a sanctuary on the new site. Then on December 18th, the new plans were accepted.
1978
The Building Committee and Finance Committee’s were appointed in 1978. Construction of the new hexagonal brick church began in August of 1978
1979
The cornerstone was placed on April 29 during a special ceremony. Dedication services took place on September 23rd.
1981
Rev. Roger Mealiff commenced Pastorate
In March, a construction company removed the steeple of the old church so that original bells could be retrieved and were placed into storage. The old building was purchased by a local family and was converted into several apartments aptly named “The Divine Apartments”.
1985
Rev. Joseph E. Mills III commenced Pastorate
90th anniversary was celebrated.
1986
Construction and dedications of bell tower using the original bells from 1896.
1995
Rev. Susan R. Stull commenced Pastorate
2002
Rev. Cathy Rennick commenced Pastorate
2002
Construction of pastoral office, library and education rooms begins.
2005
Addition is dedicated and use of the facility begins.
100th anniversary was celebrated.
2010
Rev. Kris Borns commenced Pastorate
2017
Women’s Guild officially disbanded due to lack of membership.
Rev. Tom Williams commenced Interim Pastorate.